Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Why I Stopped Drinking Gin

Bowie’s Cha Cha Cha Cha Changes 

is playing in the background.


I’m with Ben and Annie drinking


gin and tonics on a day so hot


we put ice cubes In our shoes,


so hot we keep drinking –


in my studio apartment with its


8 X 10 window and no air conditioning –


past the point of speech, let alone

 

conversation. Ben is looking at Annie.


Annie is looking back. Her make-believe


striptease turns real. My mind melts


into three shades of red. Words refuse


to form. I use my fists. I’m on Ben.


He is a large man, but I leave bruises.


He shows me the next day. I try to laugh


it off. Annie is passed out on the floor.


Ben steps over her and out the door.


Everything has cha cha cha changed


for good. 

 

Rust Belt Review Issue #6

Winter 2021